And as it turns out - I actually have writing for you all. Yes, writing. You all remember that thing, right? Something that I've not done in far too long? Yep, that.
Also, because Blogger is stupid, it won't let me adjust the highlight around the chapter text. Sorry about that, I can't do anything. I could for every other post, but it's not letting me this time. Oh well. (Scratch that - I got it working.)
-----
Theme: "Broken Pieces" by Apocalyptica (feat. Lacey)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JFdcBULC2Q
------
11
DROWNING IN NOTHING
DROWNING IN NOTHING
The first thing to
hit us was shock, as everything around us slowed. It slowed in the sense that
the whole scene around us dimmed in comparison to what had happened to Lynxia,
but the tide of Hollow Men and zombies had also actually paused for a brief
moment to observe the happening. Then the disbelief rushed in with a flat
refusal to accept it. But the facts of the matter could not go on ignored.
Lynxia’s eyes
dimmed and her body began to slump. But within a few seconds of the decaying
undead pulling it’s rotting teeth out of her neck, Lynxia had already stood
upright again. Her eyes were bloodshot, despite them being fine a few moments
previously. And these bloodshot eyes roamed over each of us, and she let out a
snarl as the attack resumed.
She was gone. She
hadn’t even tasted flesh, but she was gone. The infection had taken effect
faster than that any of us had actually heard of before. We still don’t know
how her nervous system had altered itself to suit that of the other shambling
bloodthirsty creatures without the trigger of the taste of flesh. And yet it
happened, which only put a further emphasis on the theory that every single
creature here existed only for the sole purpose of taking our lives.
The renewed
onslaught of the Hollow Men and the undead wrenched us back into wholesome,
cruel reality; the reality that took place in the middle of our failed attempt
to take back Central. The reality where zombies and Hollow Men wreaked havoc upon
us from all sides and it was now more than ever that we crumpled under the
force of their attacks.
Had we been grouped
together at this point, perhaps there would have been a chance to last a little
longer. Had we been even somewhat
grouped, we would have been able to rely on each other to an extent and fend of
the swarms of enemies on all sides together – possibly even to some effect. But
we weren’t bunched together. Not even remotely. We were all spread out a good
distance apart and separated by huge masses of enemies blocking us off and
isolating us. And the fact that we were all completely exhausted, now added in
with the event that had just transpired with Lynxia ended up meaning that we
all stood no chance against any of the Hollow Men and zombies. So even though
weapons were drawn and magic was summoned and determination flared upwards, it
was no use. Flimsy attacks quickly switched to flimsy defensives and for a
short time, our attention was drawn away from Lynxia and her condition. While
previously it had been us slowly and painfully hacking away at the cancer, the
situations had reversed now, and we were backing up and backing away after a
ridiculously short time spent resisting retreat.
Heavy fists beat
us, sharp nails clawed at us and the sounds of snarling and heavy footsteps
reverberated everywhere making everything become ten times worse. After a
minute or so, my ears we ringing, the volume of which continued to rise, higher
and higher until it faded into the background and made everything noiseless. My
eyes stung, my head throbbed, every part of me ached and the only reason I was
still upright was because it became easier to stand than it was to collapse.
It had started to
rain at some point previously. I’m not sure when, and I’m not sure when I
became aware of it, but soon enough we were all soaked in a mixture of sweat,
water and blood. And then we were all grouped together again, bunched in and
fending at different angles while being forced into a half retreat. Poorly aimed
shadows shot forwards and incapacitated limited amounts of enemies. Blunt
weapons – or weapons with owners too exhausted to make them work properly –
hacked at the flesh of zombies or the skin of Hollow Men and failed to penetrate
them. Fireballs spun towards whatever was closest and missed, spinning off
course as we continued to drain more and more energy from rapidly decreasing
amount of it.
Slowly, even as we
continued to battle our futile fight and attack with strength that was barely
flowing anymore, we were driven backwards. If it was desired at that time, I’m
certain that the Hollow Men and the zombies would have been able to finish us
off there and then. But it seemed to me that they were actually enjoying the
way that things were progressing. Which, of course, was probably completely
unreliable and untrue because I was so beaten down and so torn apart by that
point that I don’t think I was even consciously aware of what I was doing. But
either way, they didn’t finish us off. Not that day, anyway. But they did
continue to drive us backwards, and it was like that first day of the invasion
all over again – darkened and worsened one hundred times over.
Night had really
fallen by then, and the only real sources of light illuminating anything were the
few enemies previously taken out with fireballs and the occasional burst of
electricity or fireball during that onslaught. And slowly, bit by bit, the
tides of Hollow Men and legions of zombies chipped away at our resolve and
determination, and forced us backwards. It was obvious that the whole thing was
hopeless. Even then, when we were grouped together, it was futile. Everyone was
too weak and too busy fighting to remain on their feet to give the slightest thought
about anyone else around.
The moment where we
turned our backs on the battle and gave up hope on reclaiming Central happened
at different times. For most of us, I think, hope on getting a grip on Central
again dissipated when Lynxia fell. But for the few who still had any fight left
in them the next few moments held the times where all hope was lost. And when
those moments passed, we all took a further step away from the oncoming masses
of enemies. It was evident that not all of us wanted to leave. But we were
fighting a losing battle, and already half dead. So then, soaking wet, out of
breath, exhausted, dehydrated, wounded, and one person down, we turned from the
battle and ran, leaving the mindless Lynxia in the midst of things that were
only there to kill us.
***
I could barely see.
My whole body felt empty, even though my head throbbed and my legs burns and my
arms were seized up. Pain felt like a petty thing. It was all distant – barely
even a distraction. Not worth my time, because nothing seemed to make sense.
The rain soaked us
all to the bone and it had even washed most of the blood away from our faces
and clothes now that the supply wasn’t continuously being freshly splattered
all over us. It was freezing once more, the night air biting into us enough by
itself without the winds that felt like knives.
We ran and we ran
and we ran – just like we did when the first wave of Hollow Men pushed us out
of Central a million years ago. When Star Inkbright still had a body and Lynxia
Lost was not a shambling zombie and we didn’t worry for the safety and the
lives for the rest of our friends that were not already in our present company.
And, really, that’s
all we’d been doing since that first day; running. Sure there were a few
battles fought, but those were just accidents, up until now. And after every
one of them it was followed by more running, more cowering from the things that
we couldn’t understand or comprehend. Not that it mattered to comprehend.
Understanding everything that had happened would not bring us anything in gain,
but possibly more to feel utterly hopeless about; more of a sense of complete
impossibility; more reinforcement of the idea that we were all going to die in
the wild version of a place we called home.
The exact same
applied for discovering why everything
had happened. There was no point to it and would bring us nothing in gain. In
addition to that, I was fairly confident that no one in our little group of
survivors had any desire to know why Star Inkbright had lost her life and
Lynxia Lost had lost her mind. Of course, me being me, I can’t be entirely sure
on that. I wasn’t sure then, I’m still not sure now, and I’ll never really be
sure on anything ever again. But I assumed so. And something I did know at the
time was that I pretty much wanted to forget about Star and Lynxia from that
moment on. Not in an attempt to erase them, but in an attempt to forget
everything that happened since that very first day in Central, when the Hollow
Men descended, when our world was thrown into…something.
“Chaos” is probably
what a lot of us would have used to describe exactly what our world was thrown
into. But I wouldn’t use that word. It’s too full, too vivid, too destructive. I think I’d use the word “confusion”.
It more accurately describes our predicament since we fled Central for the
first time. It describes what my view
on our world was, in any case. As I said, pretty much everything that’s
happened so far has been told from my view, so I at no point in time have any
idea how anything is for the others. And if I had any kind of idea of what may
have casually passed through their heads while living our old lives, I had
absolutely no idea of what they thought about by this point. We were all
different enough before, but now half of us were at complete opposites to one
another, and in even extremer forms of what we once were. Some of us were
completely changed. But there were some traits that we all seemed to share…
Whatever remains of
our old selves we may have had at that point, none of it showed much. There
were pretty much two sides to us all now – an angry side and a useless side. The
angry side more or less held true for all of us a lot more than the useless side
did. Although it was true that we were all pretty much useless while angry as
well, the useless side more entailed us being mostly dead to the world – or depressed
– as well as useless. And this pretty much held true for all of us at one point
or another.
The rest of us that
were left, anyway… Sparky, Nixion, Ivy, myself, and Flame.
The way I saw it is
that there were three groups at this point. Our group of six, recently cut down
to five. The trio that we left behind at the forest. And then, if everyone else
was incredibly lucky, the rest of the Bloglandians were all together somewhere.
But considering luck has never really been any of our “strong points”, they
were all probably either spread out far and thin, or dead.
We didn’t talk as
we ran. Not only was there nothing to say, but we had no energy to say it with.
We’d burned it all up in the failed fatal assault on Central, and I myself had
barely enough in me to turn and run from the place. I have no idea how I continued
to run with everyone else. But, just like while fighting the new inhabitants of
Central, it seemed to burn less energy to continue doing what I was doing than
to muster the strength to stop. It made no sense, yet still applied, and I’ll
never work out why and I’ll never care why. Nothing as trivial as that
mattered. Not anymore. Not after having been forced from our home. Not after
having lost contact with Lavender, Thrust and Johanna. Not after having spent
weeks in solitude, unsure of what fate has claimed the other Bloglandians. Not
after having witnessed Star Inkbright blow herself up in order to save us. Not
after having witnessed Lynxia Lost inexplicably turn into a mindless undead
even without having tasted any flesh.
My insides burned,
my brain was frozen over, my body ached, the rain soaked my everything. There
was nothing in sight that wasn’t drenched – there was nothing in sight that
wasn’t rain. We ran blindly through the
freezing early morning as rain pounded down on us like ten thousand fists. And
we continued to run, for how long I don’t have a clue. It was for hours, I know
that much, but beyond that there’s no definite time. Because hours passed and
sunrise time came and went and still there was no daylight. The clouds
dominated the sky letting nothing through. We were in darkness, violated by
rain. It was sempiternal, over and over, again and again.
It was ages before
we finally came to a stop. I don’t know who was in front of me or who was
behind me or where any of the others were in relation to me. But there was one
figure that was running in front of me and one second they were there and the
next they’d collapsed onto the ground. I didn’t consciously interpret this as
anything, and my immediate reaction was to keep going, just because I had been
doing nothing else for far too long and it was as though my brain had forgotten
how to do anything but gasp and run. But then something snapped and I was lying
in a soaking wet field of grass, not even aware of how I’d gotten there.
But again, I didn’t
care. So much had happened in the last few days that I didn’t even know how to
interpret it. Leaving Lavender and the others. Running from there to Central.
The blur of movement that was the fighting. The image of Lynxia’s unfamiliar
snarling face. The last straw of battle. Running again. The running. The
running.
Running.
I couldn’t take it
at that moment. It was just weakness that I wasn’t yet familiarised to. But it
was still weakness. And all I did was breath in, and rain drown out everything…
OH MY GOLDEN GOD.
ReplyDelete:O
...You're evil when you write.
EVIL.
Anymore deaths and I'll start sobbing over these lovely characters. *nods*
Intense.
ReplyDeleteLove it, Zathy boy. ;D
WOULD YOU STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME FREAK OUT IN PUBLIC?! I nearly screamed when Lynxia changed!
ReplyDeleteWhy is this so satisfying?
ReplyDeleteAnd here would be my character, saying I told you so and scolding you for going on a stupid death mission to take back the Central. Or at least she would have before Star's death.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm just teasing. ;P Love it as always, though I'm still freaking out that Lynxia's a mindless zombie. Why??? D:
Oh, and last thing. Near the end, you wrote Lavender, Thrust, and Johanna. Wasn't it Gabriel who was with us, not Thrust? Or it could just be me being confused.