And I've got the Prologue thing here if anyone wants to read it.
I also decided, some time after finishing this, that I couldn't fit a story into this as easily as I was hoping, so I'm also currently working on a second thing, based on the same quote. If anyone cares.
----
“…I wasn’t afraid
to die…”
-
Paikea, Whale
Rider, 2002
PROLOGUE
I wasn’t afraid
to die. At least that’s what I told them as they lay me on the cold, steel
platform. The truth was, I was terrified of dying. But then, who isn’t? ‘The
suicidal and depressed’, I thought to myself dully. It wasn’t exactly a
comforting thought. It mattered not, though, for it was taking all my will
power at that moment not to go into a mental lockdown of blinding panic. As I
kept my face clear of all emotion, that blinding panic continued to keep a firm
hold on my soul, my heart, my chest, whatever was in there.
My mind was going
numb. Death was not a pleasant prospect, in my point of view.
Desperately, I
tried to make myself accept that I was about to lose who I was and become
something else. I was hoping, by that point, that it was working.
“You’re doing a
noble thing, Mr River,” said the man wearing a lab coat and shades as the other
assistants wearing similar clothing bustled about with various tubes and
contraptions around me. The sentence barely registered. I was too focused on
attempting to concentrate on acceptance of what was to come. “This project will
change everything about humanity for the greater good, and it’s all possible
because of your willingness.”
Once again, this
had not registered at the time. I hadn’t let it register. It wasn’t necessary
to listen anymore. I had let go. At least, I think I had. I distinctly remember
a sense of emptiness spreading throughout me, but that could have been at any
time in the lap, I suppose. Every event that transpired in there was a hazy
blur of hazy movement and slurred speech to me.
Tubes were
strapped into me, buried in my arms and stomach. Alien-like machines with
glowing, blinking lights loomed over me. People dressed in white surrounded me,
holding horrifically brutal-looking weapons at the ready.
“You are the
future, Mr River,” said the same man, now at my side with his hand on a machine
covered in buttons. “Now, prepare to die.”
And as the man’s
hand pressed down on any number of the buttons scattered on the machine, I felt
the liquid pump through all four of the tubes buried in me and gush into my
bloodstream, unwelcome among its company. It was cold against me and I was
feeling sick in a matter of seconds.
At once, my eyes
begun to droop and the empty feeling inside me increased substantially,
gripping my soul, gripping my heart, gripping my chest and forcing the hold of
the thing that had once been fear off.
This isn’t so bad, I had thought to myself as the last ebbs of consciousness quickly left
me for the last time and the people advanced on me with the weapons of
dissection. Dying is not so bad after all, and I won’t even feel a thing.
But I was wrong. For
as I was pulled under by the dark tendrils of unconsciousness, I felt the first
sharp weapon penetrate my skin. And I felt the next one after that too, as well
as all those that followed.
Unconsciousness
did not do a thing to ease my way out of the world.
And I spent my last
hours of living screaming a scream that no one could hear, feeling a pain that
was impossible to feel and was yet so vividly real. And then I died. But I
wasn’t done.
Not yet.
NICE! That was sick, Mist. Seriously. I love it.
ReplyDeletemmmmmm. Super awesomeness. I like it a lot.
ReplyDeleteLove it! Continue, please. I dont usually read other blogs often, but I'd keep reading that. Even the one that your doing now is awesome, but you could still keep this as a personal project. PLEASE!
ReplyDelete