So, the holidays are on now, so I'm hoping to have at least one more chapter up in the next two weeks. Hopefully. But meanwhile, enjoy this one.
As I said, it's essentially a recap chapter, but there are events important anyway, so yeah.
----------
Theme: 'Into The Nothing' by Breaking Benjamin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QOe9US4H6U
----------
14
RELIVING
In
essence, Death asked us for our story, only that’s not how she phrased it. And
she asked in what was probably the worst way possible.
“So
who’s dead?” she had asked once the silence following the end of her story
stretched for too long a time. The room seemed to drop at least ten degrees.
I’m
not sure about the others, but I had fully expected Sparky to burst into a
blaze of unrestrained fury and utterly destroy Death for asking such a thing. This,
to my great surprise, did not happen at all. Instead, more silence followed
Death’s inquiry.
“You’re
going to have to tell us what’s happened sooner or later,” she pressed on, and
so finally we decided simply to let her original phrasing go on forgotten.
“When
this all started, we weren’t in the same groups,” I started off. “The majority
of us were, but not everyone. Nixion, Sparky, Lynxia, Lavender, Ink, Flame, and
me. That was our first group.”
“I
reckon you have a pretty good idea about what happened,” Flame picked up. “Hollow
Men came from everywhere – beyond the mountains, the lake, the volcano, the
forest. Everywhere. We fought back, but
had to leave eventually. The gas was too strong. We were too tired. And there
were too many.”
“We
shouldn’t have left…” Nixion muttered. “We should have destroyed them…”
“Anyway,”
I continued. “We couldn’t destroy
them. So we ran. For two hours or so. By the time we stopped, the sun had set,
and we’d found ourselves in some kind of place where absolutely everything was
flat.”
“Some
of us went off looking for food,” Nixion said. “Found nothing, of course. No
food, no water, no shelter. And it was freezing.”
“Which
is why I started a campfire,” Flame said. “To say it was freezing was an
understatement.”
“Yeah,
and it was still a stupid thing to do,” Nixion scowled.
“It
wasn’t as-”
“Don’t
start again,” I cut across him. “And stupid little arguments like that kept
breaking out, despite everyone’s best efforts to keep quiet. Conditions were
horrible, we were all confused and angry, and tempers were running high.”
“Lavender
kept insisting we all ‘stop arguing and get along’…” Flame muttered with a hint
of a amusement.
Nixion
continued the story. “We decided to take it in turns to keep watch, considering
we had no protection from anything. We couldn’t sleep anyway, so me, Mist and
Sparky stayed up for watch.”
“It
wasn’t fun,” I added. “The fire was dead, there no wind but it was still
completely freezing, and we still had
no idea how to process what had happened at Central.”
“I
don’t think we really talked much at all that night,” Nixion continued. “And
when we did, it was just to ask if we should move on or not.”
I
took another mouthful of my drink and went on. “So I got bored and decided to
do what I always end up doing – I took a walk. Wasn’t long until I saw a body
in the distance. Take a guess at who it was.”
“No
idea,” Death shrugged. “Who?”
“Dylan,”
I said. “Just as Vlaedr left him.”
“Oh…”
muttered Thrust quietly.
“Mm…”
I said.
“So,
there was this short argument over establishing what his name was,” Nixion
said. “Y’know. Because he kept changing it.”
Death
and Thrust both nodded in unison.
“We
spent the rest of the night on watch, and woke the others once the sun rose,” I
said. “We weren’t in any position to bury Dylan or anything, so we left him
there and moved on.”
“The
next day was stupidly, ridiculously hot,” Flame sighed. “Like, hot. Annoying hot. Really hot. Like-”
“I
think we get it,” Thrust interjected.
“Us
three that had stayed up on watch were pretty much wiped out,” I told them. “As
Flame says, it was hot. Really hot. And it wasn’t as though we’d gotten sleep
or anything.”
“So
we spent the whole day trailing behind everyone,” Nixion continued. “Because
the whole day was spent walking. Which was, as you would imagine, so much fun.”
“Well,”
I muttered. “Sparky and I were trailing behind. Nixion wasn’t.”
“Wasn’t
I?”
“Nah,
you were with the others,” I said. “Remember? Still arguing about everything.”
“Oh
yeah…”
“Anyway,”
Flame continued, bringing the conversation back to terms of relevance. “It
eventually started to rain. And I don’t just mean raining, I mean like huge,
massive black clouds. And the rain was heavy. Like, super heavy. And thick. And
dense. And-”
“We
get the picture,” Death told him.
“In
any case,” Nixion said. “You wouldn’t believe how much the rain helped
everyone. It was cooling, sure. But we also drank. Everyone stopped arguing and
things got better pretty quick.”
“And
then, of course,” I said. “The lightning had to start.”
“We
were still on the super flat landscape,” Flame explained. “So we kind of ran.”
“We
stopped for the night again later on, and the terrain was different,” I said. “There
were hills, and ditches and all that stuff.”
“So
Lynxia, Flame, Lavender and Star all stayed up for watch that night,” Nixion
said. “And me, Mist and Sparky slept.”
“We
didn’t get much of it,” I said. “We each woke up a few times. There was a fire
going again but we were all too wet and too cold to protest against it.”
“And
then I came along,” Ivy spoke up for the first time in a while, cracking a grin.
“To traumatize everyone.”
“In
a nutshell,” Flame said.
Following
that, Ivy took charge of the conversation and cut back to her own initial
invasion battle. She explained that her own group had originally consisted of herself,
Lorelei Fetch, Gabriel Cobalt, Johanna Remus and, for a short time, Dylan
Silver.
“Weird…”
Thrust murmured after Ivy had covered her own experiences up until meeting us
that night in the rain. “So at one point or another, all three of our groups
have had some sort of contact with Dylan?”
“I
guess so,” Flame replied.
“He
was originally with Ivy…” he said, frowning. “Then he met up with us, and was
killed by Vlaedr… And then you guys found him dead?”
“Yeah,”
I said.
“Interesting,”
Thrust said slowly.
“Is
it?” asked Ivy.
He
shrugged. “Gives some sort of timeframe to this whole thing.”
“Is
that important,” Nixion asked.
“It
could be,” he said. “Nothing we can really do with it at the moment, though.
Continue.”
“Right.”
“Ivy
told us about the City,” I said. “It was shelter, and they’d been staying there
for a while, so it didn’t sound too bad to us. Not to mention we weren’t
exactly going to go our different ways after finally finding other people.”
“So
when the sun came up, we left again,” Flame continued. “Ivy, Gab and Jo leading
the way.”
“Can
I just say, I don’t know who Gabriel is? Or Johanna?,” Death interjected
quickly.
“They’re
some of our older friends,” Flame said.
“Only
if they’re still alive…” Nixion muttered quietly.
“Regardless,”
I continued on. “We finally got to the city which took longer than it should
have because Ivy got us lost.”
“I
didn’t get lost,” she scowled. “I don’t
get lost, how many times do I need to say that?”
“Gab
told me you’d never even been across the desert before the time you met us,”
Flame piped up. “The fact that you ended up meeting any of us was a complete
accident.”
“He
was lying,” she shrugged.
“He
seemed pretty certain to me.”
“This
is so petty,” Death’s voice drifted over from behind the bar, emerging a few
moments later with a second glass of beer.
“This
isn’t petty,” Nixion informed her.
“We
endured worse,” I agreed.
“Can
we move on?” asked Thrust.
“Good
idea,” Ivy clutched to his sentence and propelled the conversation onwards.
“The city, yeah. That thing. When we got there the winds were starting, just
because we’re that good at timing everything. Barely made it back to our
basement, actually.”
“But
we did. And once we were in the
basement, Ivy, Gab and Jo pretty much told us everything she just told you.”
“And
then we waited the winds out,” Ivy. “Loads of fun that was.”
“She
kept flicking rocks at everyone…” muttered Nixion.
I’m
fairly certain you can imagine how our explanation of events continued on from
that point. While we were skimming over our rather dull adventures in the
wilderness, we covered the days with short explanations, spending more time
getting side-tracked than actually speaking within realms of relevance.
Explaining
the whole Hollow Men and Explosives dilemma wasn’t too difficult. It was the
most logical solution to the problem, but all the same. Talking about Star
Inkbright properly for the first time since the City was beyond difficult, and
with the knowledge that we still had Lynxia to cover made it worse.
In
any case, the news of Star’s death came as a shock to Death and Thrust. She had
been someone that simply everyone knew – more so any many other people that
could have potentially been caught up in this. Her death affected them almost
as much as it had us.
But
they had not been there. They hadn’t witnessed what we had, and no amount of
perfect detail or exact accuracy could put those feelings or those sights into
proper depth. Those tides and waves of papery flesh. The enveloping chaos and
panic that swarmed as we fled. The panic that followed as we regrouped, missing
a member. And that final sight – of the city from the hill. That battered and
dying city, darkened with gloom, decayed with ash, ruined by the storms,
drenched with rain. That city, being enveloped by the final blast, the
all-consuming light that took it and brought with it the winds and the heat
that urged us backwards. And the empty, hollow crater that was left when the
flames and the smoke had finally cleared, filling slowly with rain and signifying
that both the city and Star Inkbright were no more.
We
moved on, attempting to push our conversation away from the events of the
painful and the sorrow. The spiralling depression and emptiness that had led us
to the glowing forest, and that had consumed the majority of the group
afterwards. The measures Lynxia and Sparky had taken to get us to snap out of
it. Speaking about the mundanity of our situation following the horrors at the
city was almost comfortable. We had been hungry, and empty, and still not
nearly over the death of Ink, but at least it did not involve any deaths. Those
of us that were doing the explaining to Death and Thrust seemed to take small
amounts of comfort from that.
And
then, of course, we reached the decision.
“Sparky
made a suggestion,” I said. “She wanted to go back to Central. It was a fair
point, all things considered. It had been a good two or so months since the
initial invasion. Anything could have happened in that time.”
“There
were only two people against it,” Nixion continued. “Johanna didn’t like the
idea, and Gab thought it was dangerous. Said we’d be walking into another
bloodbath. The rest of us wanted to go back, though.”
“So
what happened?” asked Thrust.
“Well,
we left,” said Flame as though it were something obvious.
“It
wasn’t quite that simple,” Ivy followed up. “We took the night to think it
through, and the plan was to leave at sunrise. By that time Lavender had
changed her mind and decided she wanted to stay behind. So we left.”
“You
split up?” asked Death, frowning. “That seems sort of… Dangerous.”
“Among
other things, yes,” I said. “But it doesn’t matter now, it’s over. The rest of
us left, and Lavender, Gabriel and Johanna stayed behind. We haven’t seen them
since.”
There
followed the second battle of Central. We didn’t bother covering the walk back.
Why should we? It was simply a walk. We explained taking cover once Central was
in sight and the idea to strike while the sun obscured our figures from the
Hollow Men and the zombies.
And
then came the fight.
We
all know how it panned out. We fought and we failed. Nothing to be done about
that. In addition to the Hollow Men, there were zombies, just as Ivy had
entailed to us. Clouds of gas hung over the scene as the fighting grew more and
more desperate.
“It
was sort of a bad idea,” Death interrupted us, half way through. “It really
just sounds like something you’ve all done out of angst. Sounds to me like
Gabriel was right – you could have all been killed.”
“Can
you blame us for doing things out of anger?” asked Nixion. “Star had just been
killed. We were angry. We weren’t much but
angry.”
“You
still could have been killed,” scowled Death. “Anything could have happened. What’s
happened to Lynxia? Did you misplace
her? Did she decide to leave? Did she
go off to find-”
Sparky
shot across from her place of solitude in a flash and the next second she had
Death pinned against the wall of the tavern, arm pressed hard against her
throat. Bottles of assorted alcohol spun from their places and fell with
crashes as the glass smashed on the floor.
“Lynx
was killed,” she said. It was not a yell, or a scream, or a cry of rage. It was
a lowered tone of pure, cold fury. It was worse than screaming. “Lynx is dead. And
it’s all your fault. My fault.” She
seemed to struggle with whether or not she was talking to Death or herself for
a few moments, then she hardened her glare and stepped back. “Do not.”
She
returned to her place without continuing and spoke no more.
“Yeah,”
Nixion said, breaking the silence. “Lynxia…died.”
We
explained the zombies, and the bite, and the futile effort that followed it in
the briefest way we could, skimming over as much as possible. It was hard
enough without knowing that there was the danger of Sparky bursting out into
anger again. And then we were fleeing again, always fleeing, never able to overcome
anything.
Of
course, everything that followed Lynxia was easy. We walked for a time no one
has yet defined. We found the Town. We found Death and Thrust and Lorelei. Easy.
Simple. Quick. No dying. No loss.
And
Death and Thrust accepted what they’d heard quietly, letting the silence that
followed the end of our story ring out for several minutes, filled only with
the occasional action of someone taking another drink from their glass.
Finally,
when the silence became so great it seemed almost painful, Thrust spoke again.
“I
think we may have a problem,” he said.
“What’s
that?” asked Flame.
“We’ve
lost track of time.”
Death
cursed and bounded over the bar, hurrying towards one of the windows and peered
through a tiny gap in barricades. She took a few steps back and sighed.
“What’s
wrong?” I asked.
“The
sun’s setting,” she said. “Now.”
“And?”
“And,”
she turned to us again. “There are vampires that hunt this place at night. Remember?”
“Shouldn’t
these defences hold?” asked Nixion.
“We’re
not counting on them to,” Thrust said. “Fact is, they’ve been straining for a
while now. We meant to go out and grab some replacements today, but you lot
came around and we forgot. Now that there’s more fresh meat up for grabs,
they’re probably going to be a lot more aggressive tonight.”
“Then
let’s go,” Nixion said. “I didn’t want to stay here anyway.”
“We’re
in no position to leave,” argued Death. “You’re all a wreck and Lorelei’s had
her ripped apart in case you’d forgotten.”
“Well
we can’t stay, can we?” growled
Nixion. “Thrust just said that!”
“You
can’t leave either,” she said, shaking her head. “Where are you going to go?”
“We
just explained how we survived for four months,” Ivy retorted. “We’ll find a
way. You should come with us before you’re all killed too.”
“Thought
you wanted to stay under cover anyway,” Death spat at Ivy.
“I’m
not exactly fond of the idea of being torn apart by vampires!” she yelled.
“Well
we’re not going back the way we came,” I said. “There’s nothing there. Better
to go off looking for some sort of shelter where there’s a chance there could
be something. How far is it to the other side of the town?”
“Maybe
ten minutes,” Thrust said. “At a run.”
“Alright,”
Nixion said. “Let’s go. I’m not staying here waiting for the vampires to tear
this place down.”
“The
defences will hold,” Death glared.
“Thrust
said they won’t,” Ivy shot back.
“Everyone shut up,” Flame shouted over the
commotion. “We can’t stay. If the defences don’t hold then we’re all going to
die. Even with eight people, we can’t completely hold off four vampires and a…werewolf
bear vampire…thing.”
“Smooth,”
Ivy said.
“Shut
up,” he said. “Someone go get Lorelei. We’re leaving.”
Flame
made a few strides towards the door of the pub, preparing to begin dismantling
the barricades that held it shut, when a beast-like, guttural growl emitted
from behind it, and the sounds of heavy claws slammed against the structure.
“They’re
heeee-eeere…” Ivy said.
And that is why people shouldn't talk to me. I forget important stuff and now I'm going to get everyone killed! Yay!! :D
ReplyDeleteAnd, FINALLY!! IVE BEEN WAITING TOO LONG FOR THIS CHAPTER!!! EVIL ZATHY!! EVIL!! AT LEAST IT WENT ABOVE MY EXPECTATIONS!!
Brilliant
ReplyDelete"They're heeee-eeere..."
ReplyDeleteYep. That is brilliant. Definitely.
I NEED MORE STUFF TO READ THOUGH, MOOSE. MOOOOOOOOORE.
Awesome!!!!
ReplyDeleteAND YAY FOR ANOTHER CHAPTER SOON!!!!!!!!!!!! (It better be soon, anyway)
*gulp*
ReplyDeleteThis is so awesome. This is so good. And to top it off, I feel like I'm actually in it! Thank you.
ReplyDelete